May 5, 2009

Whole Wheat and Oat Bread

I continue to experiment with the Bread recipe I have been perfecting (first introduced here). A couple things I wanted to address are: the texture of the Bread is too crumbly, and the loaf size fits neither my small Bread pan nor my large Bread pan.

To fix the first problem, I decided to put in two flax seed "eggs" to help bind the dough together. You could use real eggs, or just the egg whites. The second problem was easily fixed by upping the ingredient amounts slightly to get my dough volume large enough to put in my large Bread pan.

I think this version turned out pretty well. The flavor is pretty basic, but this can serve as a starting point for more interesting additions, like nuts, seeds, dried fruit, etc. Here is how the loaf turned out:



As much as I like oat flour, I believe it contributes greatly to the crumbly nature of these past few Breads. In future experiments, I will try to substitute other flours, such as white sorghum, buckwheat, barley, etc.

Whole Wheat Oat Bread


Ingredients


Dry:
1 c oat flour
1 c tapioca flour
3 c whole wheat flour


Wet:
2 T ground flax seed
3 T sugar
2 ¼ t yeast
2 T oil
2 c warm water

Steps

Follow the basic steps as outlined in this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment